Sunday, November 12, 2017

Audiobook review of Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth narrated by Nicola Barber

Call the Midwife cover art

At the age of 22, Jennifer Worth left her comfortable home to move into a convent and become a midwife in postwar London’s East End slums. The colorful characters she met while delivering babies all over London - from the plucky, warm-hearted nuns with whom she lived to the woman with 24 children who couldn't speak English to the prostitutes and dockers of the city’s seedier side - illuminate a fascinating time in history. Beautifully written and utterly moving, Call the Midwife will touch the hearts of anyone who is, and everyone who has, a mother.

My take: I really enjoyed this book.  I had watched the first episode of the tv series on Netflix and then decided I wanted to read the book.  I found it so disheartening that the women were treated so badly during this time of history.  I found the nuns both serious and hilarious.  I felt for the women who became prostitutes and for the families that couldn't afford to feed the children they had let alone another mouth.  a fascinating look at this time in history and at the human spirit.  I might be reading the next one in this series. 
The Narrator was very good. She made you feel the highs and lows of the book with your gut and brought you from happiness to sadness with her reading.  
I would recommend you read this if you like historical non fiction or if you are just interested in the subject matter.  

This is from my personal library.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.